Perl error, once and for all

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Feb 25 13:25:53 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 8:39 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

>> How do you know which to choose?
>
> I agree that the port should output a message letting you know what
> to do (for now, and longer term, we need to make it so you don't
> need to force activate these kinds of perl modules).

I want to add some criticism, but hope you all take it as
constructive, as that is what is meant wholeheartedly.

I am not a new ports user.  I think I have made 40 ports or so, in one
way or another, and done well more than that on installs.  I am new,
and beginner, but not a just downloaded and trying to use it user.

If I were really a new user, I would have long since left macports,
feeling the app makes my system unclean, dangerous, and mysterious.
If I have to come to a list to get a p5 installed, as a new users, I
probably wouldn't.  Solving this, will put ports forward in the eyes
of the new user, getting more people to speak nicely of it.

I have been on a ISP to use it, they tried it once, and will not touch
it, I have no idea why specifically, but I would bet something like
this is related.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I do love ports a lot, despite the
razors :)
--
Scott

* If you contact me off list replace talklists@ with scott@ *