Difference in -v or -d

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Feb 25 21:05:00 PST 2009

Scott Haneda wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2009, at 7:21 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> Do you mean -d prints something that should also be printed by -v, but
>> isn't?
>>
>> An example would be helpful.
>

> I wish I could give you an example, let me try to explain:
> sudo port -v install
> password: ******
>
> Thats it, that is all I get, it just sits there, nothing, a blank line
> in the shell, fully stalled.  Next time, I will run `lsof` and `top` and
> see what is going on.
>
> I can only recover from the above with a control-c
>
> After that control-c, if I run the same command, -d instead,
> immediately, all the debug and info lines are sent to the screen.

Sounds like you're just seeing -d producing output that -v does not.
There can be long delays with no output in some cases, such as when the
port has a very large dependency graph. See
<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13069> and its duplicates.

The situation is greatly improved in trunk
(<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18259>).

- Josh