Install suggestions for port ASSP

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Feb 27 04:59:29 PST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 4:42 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2009, at 19:24, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> My ASSP portfile I have now, instead of using xinstall, I just copy
>> the directory into place.   I need a little guidance no the best
>> way to do this.
>>
>> ASSP will end up in /opt/local/var/ASSP
>>
>> If ASSP is not there, I just move the entire distro in.  On first
>> run of ASSP, a few files and folders are made, the user is good to
>> go.
>>
>> How do I deal with updates to ASSP?  The files that were made on
>> first run, as well as config files that have been edited over time,
>> can not be replaced.
>>
>> I believe if I do this as a entire directory, I am going to mess
>> up, unless there is a merge or sync command I am not seeing.
>>
>> Would it then be correct to simply install each file one at a time,
>> then they get registered, and the port upgrade can just touch those
>> files, leaving any user created files in the same area alone?
>
> It does not matter how you put files into the destroot, whether it's
> by file copy or xinstall or make install or whatever. As long as
> files are in the destroot, MacPorts will see them and register them
> to the port.

Ok, thanks.  I will have to think the best way to do this then.

> You should not install any files the user will modify, because they
> will be deleted and overwritten by your port's new files if they
> upgrade the port. Instead, install sample files which the user is to
> copy and then modify.

I hope there is a provision for dealing with this. ASSP has a built in
http server, done in perl, which allows a web based admin.  That
admin, reads and writes files in the ASSP/files, ASSP/db and a few
other places.  The user is not modifying them directly, they are more
like "preferences" for ASSP.

There are no sample files to install, they are sparse config/
instruction files, that get filled over time, either by the user
admin, or automatically by the application, or both.

How do I protect these files? I suspect this is analogous to how to
you protect mysql databases, but those are not pre-installed in most
cases.
--
Scott

* If you contact me off list replace talklists@ with scott@ *