Install suggestions for port ASSP

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 27 04:42:48 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 19:24, Scott Haneda wrote:

> My ASSP portfile I have now, instead of using xinstall, I just copy
> the directory into place.   I need a little guidance no the best
> way to do this.
>
> ASSP will end up in /opt/local/var/ASSP
>
> If ASSP is not there, I just move the entire distro in.  On first
> run of ASSP, a few files and folders are made, the user is good to go.
>
> How do I deal with updates to ASSP?  The files that were made on
> first run, as well as config files that have been edited over time,
> can not be replaced.
>
> I believe if I do this as a entire directory, I am going to mess
> up, unless there is a merge or sync command I am not seeing.
>
> Would it then be correct to simply install each file one at a time,
> then they get registered, and the port upgrade can just touch those
> files, leaving any user created files in the same area alone?

It does not matter how you put files into the destroot, whether it's
by file copy or xinstall or make install or whatever. As long as
files are in the destroot, MacPorts will see them and register them
to the port.

You should not install any files the user will modify, because they
will be deleted and overwritten by your port's new files if they
upgrade the port. Instead, install sample files which the user is to
copy and then modify.