Updating MySQL

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Feb 27 05:05:32 PST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 4:19 AM, Marion Dumas wrote:
> Hello!
> The mysql4 server is active, so I tried to stop this server in order
> to install mysql5 by typing in mysqladmin shutdown, but this
> returns  the following error message
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/
> local/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/opt/local/var/
> run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!
>
> How else can I shutdown the server?

Sometimes MySql can be a finicky thing in regards to it's pid file,
where it is, which one is in use.  If you just want to shut it down
and do not plan on using it, in order to install a newer version...

You could spend a while tracking down your my.cnf, and your
mysqld.sock, or, really quickly you can move out of the way the
launchd item that starts the server, and reboot the machine, mysql
will not be running at that point.
--
Scott

* If you contact me off list replace talklists@ with scott@ *