Perl error, once and for all

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Sat Feb 28 21:47:51 PST 2009

On Feb 28, 2009, at 6:59 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2009-02-26 10:16:23 -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how CPAN solves this?
>>
>> CPAN installs overwrite the perl-provided module with the newer one
>> (this is the whole reason why we have a problem).
>
> Well, that's a MacPorts specific bug, then. Under Debian, it defaults
> to /usr/local, thus does *not* overwrite perl-provided modules from
> Debian (that would be really bad if it did). Anyway, the user can
> choose. The documentation for path configurations sucks, but that's
> possible.

I have to guess that this is the issue. /usr/local is considered safe
as should be. Macports doesn't have /opt/local/usr/local. Oh, maybe it
does, I didn't check.

I don't know enough about where perl, cpan or modules get installed to
offer anything good here but I think having a perl5 "base" and
installing everything else somewhere else might make sense. I wish I
knew more about perl. Well, no, I really don't. I just want to use
perl based programs.

Perl guru's, please save us from -f :) You can do it :)

//Brad