GnuCash packaging - the good, the bad and the ugly

Olaf Foellinger olaf at foellinger.de
Sun Jan 4 03:30:53 PST 2009

Hi,

here are the results of my investigation of the gnucash packaging.

First the good message: I've installed a clean version of macports,
added +no_x11 and +quartz to the variants.conf, changed the archiving to
yes and the autoclean to no in macports.conf, deleted the qt3 parts and
the cbanking an qbanking in the aqbanking portfile and - gnucash has
been build without problems as quartz variant.

The bad message: Packaging still doesn't work.

The ugly: the command

$ sudo port mdmg gnucash

fetched a lot of additional packages, most of the x related. I'll
attache the logfile. Why does this happen? Gnucash has been built with
all dependencies, so why does the packaging need additional packages?
Does it use a different dependency method or does it ognore the global
variants? Just guessing.

Gruß Olaf