building tcl with macports gcc: unrecognized option

Russell E. Owen rowen at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 9 16:00:09 PST 2009

I'm trying to build tcl on MacOS X 10.5.6 using the macports gcc 4.3.2.
I know a tcl is available from macports, but for obscure reasons I need
my own non-framework version. When I do the standard:
  ./configure
  make
I eventually get this error:
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mdynamic-no-pic"

I am guessing this flag is an Apple extension that is not available in
the macports compiler. Surely this must come up when the macports tcl
port (and perhaps other software), yet I can't find anything about it in
the tcl port file, nor anywhere else for that matter.

Can anyone tell me how to avoid the problem?

-- Russell