building tcl with macports gcc: unrecognized option

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jan 9 16:36:59 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 04:00:09PM -0800, Russell E. Owen said:
> I'm trying to build tcl on MacOS X 10.5.6 using the macports gcc 4.3.2.
> I know a tcl is available from macports, but for obscure reasons I need
> my own non-framework version. When I do the standard:

Note that the tcl port does not install a framework, just the *nix-style
include/lib stuff.

>   ./configure
>   make
> I eventually get this error:
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mdynamic-no-pic"
>
> I am guessing this flag is an Apple extension that is not available in
> the macports compiler. Surely this must come up when the macports tcl
> port (and perhaps other software), yet I can't find anything about it in
> the tcl port file, nor anywhere else for that matter.

The vast majority of ports use the gcc which comes with Xcode, and the vast
majority of those use gcc-4.0, so they don't have to work around such issues
for the most part.

> Can anyone tell me how to avoid the problem?

In your case, it looks like you'll need to edit unix/configure to remove
that flag from EXTRA_APP_CC_SWITCHES, then do the configure and make again;
though I haven't tried it myself.

Bryan