install trouble Mac OSX 10.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 13 16:40:45 PST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 09:32, jason white wrote:

>>> You are missing an initial / on the first path. That line should be
>>>
>>> export PATH=" /opt/local/bin: /opt/local/sbin:$PATH"
>>
>> Actually there should not be spaces there. The line should read:
>>
>> export PATH="/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH"
>>
>> Did the MacPorts installer do this to your .bash_profile or did
>> you set it up manually? If the former, then we have a bug in the
>> setup script somewhere....
>
> I did a complete reinstall of MacOS 10.4 and applied all of the
> updates. Then I installed XCode, and used all of the defaults for
> the install. After that I installed MacPorts 1.6 using the
> installer from the MacPorts site. After the install was completed I
> looked for the .bash_profile file, and could not find it. Should i
> create a new file? I believe i created the file manually last time.

The MacPorts 1.6.0 installer has a bug that it does not set up
the .profile for you. This was fixed in MacPorts 1.7.0, which is the
version you should be using. Please see:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#a.profilenotsetup

P.S: Use Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.