Error trying to upgrade

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 14 19:55:59 PST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 20:27, Doctor Who wrote:

> I'm getting the following error when trying to upgrade my installed
> ports:
>
> sudo port upgrade installed -f
> --->  Activating libtool-devel @2.3a_0
> Error: Activating libtool-devel @2.3a_0 failed: Image error:
> /opt/local/bin/glibtool is being used by the active libtool port.
> Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to force the
> activation.
> --->  Activating p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
> Error: Activating p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0 failed: Image error:
> /opt/local/share/man/man3/Digest::MD5.3pm.gz is being used by the
> active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f
> flag to force the activation.
>
> What's the right way to address this?  It appears trying to deactivate
> the ports or using '-f' don't work.

You should not be using the -f option unless absolutely necessary. In
many cases, a port will tell you if it is necessary. And in those
cases, only use -f with the port in question, not with a command that
affects many ports, such as "upgrade installed".

You probably never want to "upgrade installed" either. "upgrade
outdated" is probably what you were looking for.

You appear to be trying to activate libtool-devel but already have
libtool activated. These ports are mutually exclusive; you must
decide which one you want to activate, and not activate the other
one. -devel ports are development versions of software, as opposed to
stable versions. Usually the -devel versions are newer, but not
always. Usually the -devel ports are less well tested. Unless you
have a specific need for features that are not in the released
version, you should avoid -devel ports.

p5-digest-md5, on the other hand, is a perl module, and it happens to
provide a module (Digest::MD5) which perl itself already provides.
Perhaps that was added with the recent update to perl 5.8.9. So you
may not need the p5-digest-md5 port at all; you may be just fine with
just the perl5.8 port. You can try uninstalling p5-digest-md5, or
just leave it deactivated.

I see there are a number of ports that declare dependencies on p5-
digest-md5:

argus-monitor
gnupod
imapsync
p5-convert-pem
p5-flickr-api
p5-image-exiftool
p5-net-dict
p5-net-ssh-perl
p5-perl-ldap

Are you using one of these? Perhaps these ports need to be updated to
no longer list p5-digest-md5 as a dependency.