upgrading VIM errors

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Jan 18 20:32:09 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:49:16PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt said:

> On Jan 18, 2009, at 18:51, Adam Dershowitz wrote:
>
>> Along the way it also installed python26!  It looks like this is
>> because it installed xorg-xcb-proto @1.3_0+python26.  I am not sure if
>> this will work or not because I have not, and was not planning to run:
>> sudo python_select python26.
>
> It is not necessary to run "sudo python_select python26" unless you want
> to be able to type "python" and have it run python26. Any port that
> depends on python26 (or any other python) should function correctly
> without using python_select. Perhaps the message printed by the python
> ports could be worded differently, so that it is not implied that running
> python_select is necessary.

There could be some ports which do in fact need a version selected as the
Current version setting for the framework
(${prefix}/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Version/Current and the
symlinks in just Python.framework/) are used when linking to it.

Thought I believe it's been suggested before that the first python port
installed should probably be automatically python_select'd...

Bryan