Steps to ensure compatibility between fink and macports

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 16:41:16 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 07:16:55PM -0500, Shreevatsa R said:
[...]
> I understand; that makes sense. It seems the same as the /usr/local
> problem again, with packages not being prevented from looking in
> places they shouldn't be looking, and potentially causing problems as
> a result. I guess it's worth investigating chroot and -nostdinc. The
> latter has been around since gcc 2.7.2.2 at least, which is more than
> 10 years old: it should be safe to use.

I'd love to see MacPorts make use of things like nostdinc, but then we have
to re-add the true system-level stuff, and that is more than just
/usr/include.  You also have stuff in /usr/include/gcc and various places in
/usr/lib/gcc.  Is there a way to consistently find the proper locations for
a given gcc, on all platforms MacPorts claims to support?

Bryan

[...]