Steps to ensure compatibility between fink and macports

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 20:28:48 PST 2009

Thanks all for the discussion. Ryan-- the point is not that MacPorts (or Fink, for that matter) installs in random places; each installs in their own directory hierarchy (/sw for fink, /opt/local for MacPorts). The problems arise if a package in one realm links to a library in the other--especially if the library versions and features differ. Which explains why the safe route is to move the "other" directory while using the first one. Now I understand how to play with fire.

David