p5 modules, get me started on one

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Jan 20 17:50:23 PST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 04:07:56PM -0800, Scott Haneda said:
>> If I need this module
>> http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/libnet-1.22/Net/SMTP.pm
>>
>> I am still not entirely sure how I get to it.  There is source on the
>> page for just net::smtp, but it looks like I have to get libnet as
>> well?
>> If I do have libnet installed, how do I confirm it has net::smtp in
>> it?
>
> Some perl modules come packaged in groups like that, which
> definitely can
> cause confusion.  Maybe the best solution would be to list all actual
> modules installed with the given port?  Then it may be easier to
> search for
> it.

List it in the port description?  Will that get searched?  How do I
even get a list of what is in these packages from the CPAN site?

>> Just for kicks, I made a port for net-smtp 2.31 and all the fetches
>> fail
>> of course.  So I suspect I need to use libnet instead.  But how would
>> someone searching in macports, for net::smtp, ever know it is
>> there, since
>> it is hidden away in libnet?
>>
>> Is there some part of the port file where I am supposed to list all
>> the
>> parts?  If there is, how do I get such a list?
>
> The base perl5.8 port should actually have what's in libnet like
> Net::SMTP,
> so no port should actually be needed for this one.

How would I know that?
port search smtp
All I see is
p5-net-smtp_auth @0.08 (perl)
     Perl5 SMTP client with AUTHentication

If that is it, great, but how would I confirm it is in fact the same
thing?  All signs point to it being different.

Beginning to dislike perl and I have not written more than 100 lines
of it in my life :)
--
Scott