Understanding what I am calling the mess that is perl modules

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Jan 21 03:00:40 PST 2009

Scott Haneda wrote:
> I actually do not even understand why a port has to be made for
> anything in CPAN.  I am sure the publish a list of all their modules,
> how come that list can not just exist in MacPorts, and we can simply
> issue something like `sudo port install cpan-foo::bar::baz and have
> MacPorts do the rest.
>
> For items that would not build right away, or if someone wants
> something tried, true, and tested, there could be a full port file.

There is cpan2port written by Marc [1] which is meant to create
Portfiles from CPAN. It is new and I don't know if it works in all
cases, so any help from someone with a Perl background would be appreciated.

This should also be moved to our contrib section [2] and then made
available as a port so it's easier to use for Portfile authors.

Rainer

[1]
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-November/012298.html
[2] http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/contrib/