Understanding what I am calling the mess that is perl modules

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 21 12:09:40 PST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 4:46 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2009, at 06:34, Scott me wrote:

>>> Cool, thanks.
>>> I downloaded it, and moved it to ~/bin which is in my path.
>>>
>>> When I run it with no arguments to get to help for it, I get
>>> errors, which reference macports, which I should not, since I am
>>> using the built in perl in OS X.
>>>
>>> $whereis perl
>>> /usr/bin/perl
>>
>> I think I am sort of seeing what is going on here. perl -V is using
>> the macports version for some reason.   would think that `perl`
>> needs to continue to use the OS X perl, and that I would need to
>> call out the /opt/local/bin/perl when I want to use the MacPorts one.
>
> If you list /opt/local/bin first in your path, before /usr/bin, then
> sure, MacPorts perl will be used (in your Terminal) in preference to
> Apple perl. Same for any other program that exists in both
> locations. That's the whole reason we recommend putting (and set up
> for you, in the default .profile) /opt/local/bin first in the path
> -- so that you get MacPorts versions where available, since they are
> usually newer.

Duh, sorry, I do not know why I did not see that.  I was just looking
at order of definition of the PATH, not the actual order inside each
path.  I have a new echo'd out path of
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/me:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/
Users/me/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin

perl -V is now showing what I want
     /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
     /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8
     /Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
     /Library/Perl/5.8.8
     /Library/Perl
     /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
     /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.8
     /Network/Library/Perl
     /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
     /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.8
     /Library/Perl/5.8.6
     /Library/Perl/5.8.1

Thanks for all the help on this one.