Universal Binaries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 22 01:19:19 PST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 21:22, Timothy Lee wrote:

> 1. What is the current state of the +universal variant? Do most
> ports work?

It's unknown if most ports work. If it doesn't work for ports you
want, file tickets. Note that 64-bit universal support is likely more
broken than plain 32-bit universal support.

It's possible we could fix this situation a great deal by switching
ports to the new universal build strategy available in the merge-
universal portgroup.

> 2. How is dependencies and the +universal variants used? Meaning if
> I type "sudo port install pan2 +universal" will that pass the
> variant to all dependencies that get built before pan2?

Yes, as with all variants, the variants you ask for will get passed
down to any other port that needs to get *installed* (but not to any
other port that's needed that you already have installed). If you
want to install X universal, and X depends on Y and Z, and Y and/or Z
are already installed, you must ensure that Y and Z are already
universal, otherwise you will get (possibly cryptic) errors
installing X universal.