ASSP port testing, not getting all perl mods to work

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jan 22 12:41:03 PST 2009

I have this solved, but I do not know how to solve this in a way that
works for MacPorts.  I am assuming there is a solution for the issues,
since it seems it would be common to many perl ports.

perl uses @INC to figure out where your perl modes are, you can check
with:
perl -e 'print join "\n", @INC'

With MacPorts you will need to use the /opt/local path to perl

So, for reasons I am not entirely sure of, some perl mods will look at
the macports @INC, and some will look at the default @INC.  How do we
solve this?  Why do some perl mods look in the default, is this
something I should take to the developers of the perl mods?

There seems to be two ways to solve this:
1. Add the directory to the PERL5LIB environment variable.
2. Add use lib 'directory'; in your Perl script.

I think the first way is simplest, but not so portable.  I am not even
sure a port file can modify .profile or .bashrc, and even then, from
what my experience is, env vars are a gotcha moment with MacPorts.  It
certainly lives outside of /opt/local so to me, less than idea.

The second way may be best, but I have to work with the developer of
ASSP to figure out where to best add this in.

Any suggestions?

--
Scott