Error after trying to upgrade installed

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Jan 23 13:39:54 PST 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>> For the list archives, this was fixed (in 10.4, IIRC).
>
> Personally, I'd like to see direct mode deprecated, and when 10.3
> support is
> officially dropped, it can be removed entirely.  Other than the old
> performance issues with the large number of hardlinks, I don't see any
> advantage to using direct over image mode.  Are there other reasons
> for
> keeping it?

Probably not. Although I still maintain that image mode doesn't really
give us anything more than what direct mode + archives gives us
(except that there's currently no way to tell port to use a specific,
older, archive). Direct mode is somewhat simpler, but if no one doing
active development is using it anymore, it's probably not worth
keeping around. Some easier way of transitioning than uninstalling all
ports, making the switch in the conf, and reinstalling everything,
would be nice, though.

10.3 isn't officially supported by us anymore (although we try not to
break it - Ryan's protestations about 10.5 notwithstanding).

[and no, I'm not just trying to troll jkh and his idea of having
things build against and depend on non-active images]

--
Daniel J. Luke