Error after trying to upgrade installed

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jan 23 15:07:20 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 04:39:54PM -0500, Daniel J. Luke said:
> On Jan 23, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>>> For the list archives, this was fixed (in 10.4, IIRC).
>>
>> Personally, I'd like to see direct mode deprecated, and when 10.3
>> support is
>> officially dropped, it can be removed entirely.  Other than the old
>> performance issues with the large number of hardlinks, I don't see any
>> advantage to using direct over image mode.  Are there other reasons for
>> keeping it?
>

> Probably not. Although I still maintain that image mode doesn't really
> give us anything more than what direct mode + archives gives us (except
> that there's currently no way to tell port to use a specific, older,
> archive). Direct mode is somewhat simpler, but if no one doing active
> development is using it anymore, it's probably not worth keeping around.
> Some easier way of transitioning than uninstalling all ports, making the
> switch in the conf, and reinstalling everything, would be nice, though.

True, and I've been trying archives on my install lately, to see how it
compares with images.  If there were something similar to how 'port
installed' shows what's there, for archives, and the @a.b.c +variant format
were to work against archives as well, then it'd be a viable replacement.
Cleaner since everything is kept within the one archive file instead of
installed in ...software/.

A merging of the two options keeping the best of each would be optimal.

> 10.3 isn't officially supported by us anymore (although we try not to
> break it - Ryan's protestations about 10.5 notwithstanding).

True, but I'm talking when we truly and completely say no more 10.3, from
no more building DMGs for it to closing tickets against 10.3 as 'not
supported'.

Bryan