Error after trying to upgrade installed

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Jan 23 19:46:03 PST 2009

Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> Personally, I'd like to see direct mode deprecated, and when 10.3 support is
> officially dropped, it can be removed entirely.  Other than the old
> performance issues with the large number of hardlinks, I don't see any
> advantage to using direct over image mode.  Are there other reasons for
> keeping it?

The switch to registry2.0 which is scheduled for 1.8.0 would be a good
place to drop direct mode as it is mainly implemented in the
registry/receipt handling. But that means there would be no deprecation
period.

But as we tend to discuss development stuff on the macports-users list,
there is the opportunity to ask our users: How many of you do still use
direct mode and for what reasons?

Rainer