Universal Binaries

Harry van der Wolf hvdwolf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 10:25:51 PST 2009

It is something completely different. Most linux, netbsd and freebsd
packages rely on X11. MacOSX has support for x11 but the native windowing
system of MacOSX is aqua. Using the -x11 option means that you don't build
for X11. An increasing amount of binaries and libraries support native aqua
and in that case I don't want to build for X11. It's slower, bigger (X11
takes also memory and resources next to the already available aqua) and
ugglier. But the last is off course a matter of taste.
Note that some binaries and libraries are still considered beta under aqua
(like Gimp) but function very good.
If you take a look at openoffice (not macports) you see what I mean. It has
already been available for MacOSX in X11 form for a long period.
Recently they also released a 3.0 beta version for Aqua which works fine.
NeoOffice is an aqua spin-off of OpenOffice and has a native Aqua interface
for about 1½ years now. In versioning it runs a bit behind OpenOffice (OOO
3.0.x versus NOO 2.2.5)

Note also that some packages that are compiled with -x11, simply miss the
X11 gui but only compile/create the command line versions.

Harry