named with DLZ support

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Jan 30 03:08:48 PST 2009

Hi Bradley, and all.

I got this working, somehow.  Getting mysql up and running took me the
longest, since I am just not familiar with the layout.

I have some questions, suggestions, and offers.

1) DLZ does not require any changes to mysql, is this correct?
	I think my thought that it did, stems from reading about mysql
threads, and thought it would be related, apparently not, please
correct if I am wrong

	This brings me to another issue, if I need a variant for an already
installed port, does that require a recompile and reinstall?

2) I am not sure the patch is the best method, it makes named less
usable in the long run.  Compile with DLZ, but just make the launchd
item disable threading with the flag.  This then allows the user to
back out and not have to rebuild bind.

3) Configuration wise, the etc/named.conf is not even close.  I really
do not like that file in any way even for a base install without DLZ.
It defaults to logging to syslog, which was the last place I looked
since it has been pounded into me MacPorts does not act outside of /opt.

I think at the very least, we should add to named.conf, logging
options to send all logs to var/named/logs or wherever ports folks
think is right.

4) If there is the DLZ variant specified on the command line,
named.conf should change, and have the DLZ comf options added in, the
mysql.sock path needs to be changed.

I want to work on this to get it cleaner, the bummer is, I am more
than likely going to install this on Linux when I am done, so this is
all just for testing.

5) I also suggest a load.sql file, that could be loaded into mysql, to
setup the table, and populate it with a few test zones so users know
how to start.

All this took me some time to figure out, we could make it easier on
the user, even if it is not really the responsibility of ports, I do
not see harm in providing more conf files.
--
Scott

* Please send off list contact to scott@ *