installing ghc fails

Inky 788 inky788 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 06:55:38 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Brandon Allbery<allbery at kf8nh.com> wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:21 , Inky 788 wrote:
>>
>> $ cabal install haddock
>> Resolving dependencies...
>> No packages to be installed. All the requested packages are already
>> installed.
>> If you want to reinstall anyway then use the --reinstall flag.
>> ~~~ /snip ~~~
>>
>> Weird. (How can I check if it's actually installed? Incidentally, it
>> is not listed in the output of `port installed`, which is:
>
> "type haddock" to find out where it is.

    $ type haddock
    -bash: type: haddock: not found

> Haddock 2.x is actually built into ghc, which is why there's such a close
> version dependency on the two.  I haven't checked, but it's possible that
> installing ghc is installing haddock automatically, such that ghc knows
> about it but port doesn't.  (This would be a bug in the ghc port.)
>
> Actually, poking about on my system, what I see is:
> - haddock-ghc is installed by the ghc port
> - /usr/bin/haddock is a symlink into the framework-based ghc install from
> haskell.org/ghc, unrelated to ports

    $ ls -l /opt/local/lib/ghc-6.10.3/ | grep haddock
    -rwxr-xr-x    2 root  admin  17266340 Jul  1 10:20 haddock
    drwxr-xr-x    6 root  admin       204 Jul  1 10:22 haddock-2.4.2

> You may want to verify which ghc and haddock you're getting,

    $ which haddock
    $ which haddock-ghc
    /opt/local/bin/haddock-ghc

> and adjust your
> path or remove the interfering ghc install.

As I wrote earlier, it did not seem that I had to explicitly install
any haddock package at all.

Thanks.