installing ghc fails

Gregory Wright gwright at antiope.com
Thu Jul 2 07:14:51 PDT 2009

Hi Inky,

Inky 788 wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Brandon Allbery<allbery at kf8nh.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:21 , Inky 788 wrote:
>>
>>> $ cabal install haddock
>>> Resolving dependencies...
>>> No packages to be installed. All the requested packages are already
>>> installed.
>>> If you want to reinstall anyway then use the --reinstall flag.
>>> ~~~ /snip ~~~
>>>
>>> Weird. (How can I check if it's actually installed? Incidentally, it
>>> is not listed in the output of `port installed`, which is:
>>>
>> "type haddock" to find out where it is.
>>

>     $ type haddock
>     -bash: type: haddock: not found
>

>> Haddock 2.x is actually built into ghc, which is why there's such a close
>> version dependency on the two.  I haven't checked, but it's possible that
>> installing ghc is installing haddock automatically, such that ghc knows
>> about it but port doesn't.  (This would be a bug in the ghc port.)
>>
>> Actually, poking about on my system, what I see is:
>> - haddock-ghc is installed by the ghc port
>> - /usr/bin/haddock is a symlink into the framework-based ghc install from
>> haskell.org/ghc, unrelated to ports
>>

>     $ ls -l /opt/local/lib/ghc-6.10.3/ | grep haddock
>     -rwxr-xr-x    2 root  admin  17266340 Jul  1 10:20 haddock
>     drwxr-xr-x    6 root  admin       204 Jul  1 10:22 haddock-2.4.2
>

>> You may want to verify which ghc and haddock you're getting,
>>

>     $ which haddock
>     $ which haddock-ghc
>     /opt/local/bin/haddock-ghc
>

>> and adjust your
>> path or remove the interfering ghc install.
>>

> As I wrote earlier, it did not seem that I had to explicitly install
> any haddock package at all.
>
> Thanks.

With ghc 6.10.3 you get haddock 2.4.2.  This is renamed to haddock-ghc
so you can install
the haddock port as well.  Haddock may be updated between ghc releases
and some may want
both on their system.  (The haddock included with the ghc distribution
is supposedly known to
correctly generate documentation for that particular compiler.)

At the moment, both ghc and the haddock port provide version 2.4.2, so
you don't need the
haddock port installed if you're willing to type "haddock-ghc".

Greg