moving MacPorts across architectures?

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Thu Jul 2 18:05:08 PDT 2009

I'm moving from a Power Mac to a Mac Pro.  I copied over the /opt
tree and was able to run the PPC commands located there, but I
thought I should upgrade some of them to X86 for speed.  That's
when the fun began...

It appears that MacPorts isn't clever enough to figure out that
it's looking at an old set of libraries, etc.  So, my build got
all sorts of nastygrams and I'm quite suspicious about the state
that the suite is currently in.

So, I suspect that my best bet is to nuke /opt and load all the
ports from scratch.  Is this reasonable?  Any other ideas?

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com