Error when upgrading port: Errno architecture does not match executable architecture

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 8 00:28:53 PDT 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 02:06, jsmorris wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade all my apps to their latest version, but
> several apps are not upgrading.  Each attempt ends with a very similar
> error message.
>
> For example, here is my attempt to upgrade libwmf
>
> Mini:~ jsmorris$ sudo port upgrade libwmf
> Password:
> Error: Target org.macports.patch returned: shell command "cd
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graph
> ics_libwmf/work/libwmf-0.2.8.4
> && autoreconf -fvi" returned error 1
> Command output: Errno architecture (darwin-2level-9.4.0) does not
> match executable architecture (darwin-2level-9.7.0) at
> /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm line 11.
> Compilation failed in require at
> /opt/local/share/autoconf/Autom4te/XFile.pm line 91.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /opt/local/share/autoconf/Autom4te/XFile.pm line 91.
> Compilation failed in require at /opt/local/bin/autoreconf line 47.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/local/bin/autoreconf line
> 47.

It appears that perl records what it calls the "architecture" (in
this case "darwin-2level-9.4.0") inside its Errno.pm module at build
time, and fails if the current architecture does not match it
exactly. "9.4.0" is based on the Mac OS X version; looks like you
built that port when you had Mac OS X 10.5.4 installed. Now you have
Mac OS X 10.5.7 installed, so it complains.

I don't know how to convince perl to relax this check, or whether
that's even a good idea. The workaround would be to rebuild perl so
that it learns about the current "architecture".

sudo port -nf upgrade perl5.8

Then clean (you don't need --all) any port you were having trouble
with and try again.