Macports and Scribus

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 9 18:42:12 PDT 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 18:05, Frank Schima wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2009, at 4:58 PM, Phil M. wrote:
>
>> Phil-Meaghers-Computer:~ Phil$ sudo port selfupdate
>> Password:
>> DarwinPorts base version 1.400 installed
>> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: couldn't open "/opt/
>> local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate1/
>> base/config/dp_version": no such file or directory
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>
> That's a really old version. Since you had no ports installed, it's
> best to remove your version [1] and reinstall the latest version [2].
>

> [1] <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/
> FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts>
> [2] <http://www.macports.org/install.php>

For a MacPorts installation this old, it may be easiest to delete it
and start over, like Frank showed. You can use "port installed" to
get a list of what's currently installed, and use that to reinstall
your ports after you remove and reinstall MacPorts. If that's not too
inconvenient for you, it has the greatest chance of quick success.

However, the current version of MacPorts, 1.7.1, should be able to
upgrade any older version. I'm not sure why it can't in your case,
Phil. If you'd like to pursue why, it says you don't have the file /
opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate1/
base/config/dp_version. Do you? If not, how much of that path do you
have?

FYI, the code to upgrade very old MacPorts installations has been
removed and will no longer be present as of MacPorts 1.8.0. To
upgrade a very old installation to MacPorts 1.8.0 or later, you will
in future have to first install MacPorts 1.7.1, then upgrade from
that to the current version.

Note, Frank, that he didn't say he had no ports installed. He only
showed us:

On Jul 9, 2009, at 16:54, Phil M. wrote:
> Phil-Meaghers-Computer:~ Phil$ port outdated
> No ports are installed.

All that means (in MacPorts 1.4) is that none of the installed ports
are outdated. It doesn't tell you if any ports are actually
installed. "port installed" tells you that.

"port outdated" was improved some time after MacPorts 1.4 so that the
message is clearer when no installed ports are outdated.