Error: error deleting... file already exists

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jul 14 09:41:46 PDT 2009

On 2009-7-15 01:40, Viren Patel wrote:
> Hi, I am getting the following error message when upgrading a port
> (sqlite in this example):
>
> Error: error deleting
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_databases_sqlite3/work":
> file already exists
>
> Is this safe to ignore and/or how do I stop them? The command I used was:
>
> sudo port -Ruc upgrade installed +universal

That's a really weird error, if the file didn't already exist what would
be the point of deleting it? :-/

You could try `sudo port clean sqlite3` first, or delete the work dir
manually. The command line you're using has a few issues too:

The 'installed' pseudo-port will already get every installed port, so
the -R flag (which upgrades the dependents of the specified ports as
well) is just going to waste time by considering some ports multiple times.

The command is only going to upgrade outdated ports. Trying to add a
universal variant to only some ports could be disastrous, as a universal
port generally needs all of its dependencies to be universal too. If you
add the -f flag, all the ports will be rebuilt regardless of whether
there is a newer version available, and thus the universal variant will
be selected on all of them, if available. Note that not all ports even
have a universal variant, and not all of those using the default one
have been tested with it.

- Josh