Difficulty installing and using PostgreSQL.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 16 22:31:46 PDT 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 20:39, Don Fox wrote:

> The server was running earlier today, but after an install of
> GNUmed application, which required extensive ports I started
> getting this?
>
> bash-3.2$ psql
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> 	Is the server running locally and accepting
> 	connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> The port selected was 5432.
>
> I used the "port load".

I've never used PostgreSQL myself so I'm not sure what to suggest.
But I was hoping your answers would help someone who knows about
PostgreSQL help you further. I am sending this reply back to the
mailing list. Remember to use Reply All so your reply goes to the
list too, not just to the individual.

It would still be good to know if the PostgreSQL server process is
actually running. For example, is it shown in Activity Monitor? If
not, is there a PostgreSQL log file, and if so is there anything
relevant in it?