Difficulty installing and using PostgreSQL.

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Thu Jul 16 22:51:02 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:31:46AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt said:
[...]
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 08:38, Don Fox wrote:
>
> >Ryan,
> >I've installed postgresql84-server @8.4.0 checked the PATH to make
> >sure that this /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin is appended to the
> >start of the path.
> >
> >typed 'psql' at cmd line
> >
> >bash-3.2$ psql
> >psql: FATAL:  database "donfox" does not exist

This looks like the server is running and psql is doing what it does by
default, connecting with your user ID as the DB user and trying to attach to
a database of the same name.  However are you sure this is the postgres with
MacPorts, postgresql84 should make 'psql84' available in /opt/local/bin, not
just 'psql'?

[...]
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 20:39, Don Fox wrote:
>
> >The server was running earlier today, but after an install of
> >GNUmed application, which required extensive ports I started
> >getting this?
> >
> >bash-3.2$ psql
> >psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> >	Is the server running locally and accepting
> >	connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

That definitely sounds like the server isn't running at that point, so seems
like something may have shut it down.  If it's running with launchd it
should be restarted, so either it isn't running with launchd or it is
dying/respawing.  Check your system and console logs for anything
interesting, also check /opt/local/var/log/postgresql84/postgres.log.

Bryan