Using mplayer through Finder

Tim Visher tim.visher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 07:25:22 PDT 2009

Hi Kal,

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Kal <kalounet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed mplayer-svn with MacPorts. However, I can use mplayer
> only through terminal. I can't launch a movie with mplayer when i'm using
> Finder. It's impossible to associate mplayer to an AVI file. Is there a
> trick to get video files associeted with mplyer binary file ?

You've installed the command line version of mplayer and I don't know
of anyway to automatically launch a command line app from the Finder
when you want to open a file.  Possibly cooking up a little
Applescript and compiling it as an app that you can run from the
context menu or from a default handler?

However, despite that there used to be a variant available for the
regular mplayer port that installed MPlayer.app in
/Applications/MacPorts.  IMHO, it was a weaker app at that point but
it did work as a 1st class Mac app so you could select it to open a
file, etc.  I would look into that.

Good luck!

--

In Christ,