Ability to run Anacron as a user

John J. Foster Macports at festus.festusandsimone.org
Wed Jun 3 19:12:28 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 01:18:36PM -0700, Scott Haneda wrote:

> >Thanks Scott! Being a fairly recent Mac user (moving from Gentoo),
> >this looks like it will work out just perfectly. Consider anacron to
> >be
> >off this machine  soon.
>
> I did not mean to bash anacron, I am sure it is great software. For
> your needs, launchd should give you more granular control.

Nor did I. The 3 things I have used anacron for can all be done using
launchd. I've always preferred native utilities if they can serve my
needs. Time to learn something new.

> Launchd supports setting users and groups, also supports logging to a
> specific file, as well as setting a working directory so you do nothave
> to fight with really long paths and paths with spaces in themwithin the
> file.
>
> One think about Lingon, which I reco'd to you, is it will in factescape
> the spaces in a file path, which my experience, and those onthe launchd
> mailing list, state to not do.

Thanks, I'm sure these things will come in handy as I learn more of it's
capabilities.

> Yes, I think the single most important flag is:
>  -E, --extended-attributes copy extended attributes,resource
> forks

from man rsync...
-E, --executability         preserve executability
-X, --xattrs                preserve extended attributes

festus at magpie ~ $ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.6  protocol version 30

What version of rsync are you running?

> This is very easy to test. I am not sure what software you use, so I
> will list a few. Interarchy bookmarks, those will break if you losethe
> extended attributes, Quark files, not that I use them, but I havebroken
> them. Ahh, what the heck, a .webloc is a forked file. Drag aurl out of
> safari onto your desktop, it will make a .webloc file. Runyour rsync,
> and see if that .webloc can open the url again, if it can,chances are
> pretty good you are doing the right thing.
>
> Grab a few random files and do:
> md5 /path to original
> md5 /path to copy
>
> If those md5's match up, you also know you are doing pretty good.
> Hope that was of some help, good luck with your scripts.

I'll investigate this later.

Thanks,
festus

--