OSX Upgrades: Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 9 17:32:53 PDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 17:07, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2009, at 13:36, Darren Weber wrote:
>
>> What's the recommended series of command lines for that?
>
> Here's what I did:
>
> cd /opt/local/var/macports/software
> /bin/ls -1d * > ~/todo.mp
> cd
> sudo mv /opt/local /var/tmp/old_macports

Moving /opt/local aside is not sufficient to uninstall MacPorts. See
proper uninstall instructions here:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts

> cd src/macports/trunk/base
> ./configure && make && sudo make install
> for f in $(cat todo.mp ); do [[ -d /opt/local/var/macports/software/
> $f ]] || sudo port -v install $f; done
>
> I'm sure there's something ports option to do that, but /shrug...

MacPorts doesn't include a command to help you rebuild an entire
installation like this. This is unfortunate and makes it a rather
involved process. But since upgrading to a new major OS version is a
task users don't perform often, I don't think any work has gone into
making this easier.

I think the key to solving this would be to have MacPorts record more
information in the registry about each port that was installed,
including what version of Mac OS X it was done on, with what version
of Xcode, and even record several of the settings from macports.conf
that were in effect at the time. Then we can make "port outdated"
recognize that if the current OS is a major version later than the
one a port was installed with, the port needs to be rebuilt.