subversion on 10.4

Thomas De Contes d.l.tDeContes at free.fr
Wed Jun 10 13:49:52 PDT 2009

Le 31 mai 09 à 07:28, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

> On May 30, 2009, at 15:33, Thomas De Contes wrote:

>>> I have no problem compiling Subversion on Mac OS X 10.4. What
>>> problem are you experiencing?
>>
>> I believed that the problem was in the build operation
>>
>> do you know why this error happens when upgrade but not when
>> install ?
>> isn't build operation the same ?
>
> Subversion needs to link to other libraries, such as apr and neon,
> which were also installed with MacPorts. One way to do this is to
> add -I/opt/local/include to the CPPFLAGS variable and -L/opt/local/
> lib to the LDFLAGS variable. Since many ports have this need,
> MacPorts does this automatically for all ports. But Subversion is
> composed of several libraries which are based on each other. For
> example, libsvn_delta depends on libsvn_subr. When Subversion is
> being built, libsvn_subr is built first, then some time later
> libsvn_delta is built and is supposed to be linked with the new
> version of libsvn_subr that was just built but has not yet been
> installed. But because of the -L/opt/local/lib directive, it tries
> erroneously to link the new libsvn_delta library with the old
> libsvn_subr that is in /opt/local/lib instead of the one that was
> just built. The old version of libsvn_subr does not have the
> capabilities the new version of libsvn_delta requires and so an
> error occurs. By deactivating the old version of subversion first,
> you remove the old libraries from /opt/local/lib and thus prevent
> the problem.

i don't understand all these details, but ...

>>> The workaround is to deactivate or uninstall 1.5.x and then clean
>>> and install 1.6.x.

... why not simply add the deactivate operation in portfile, to
upgrade ? :-)

on top of that it is done anyway, but usually it is done after
building, not before,
and if there is an (other) problem while building, the user can steel
manually reactivate subversion (that he can't do if it is uninstalled)

(clean is not needed :-) )

>> thank you :-)
>
> Did that work for you? If not, please post the error you got.

yes it worked :-)

--
Téléassistance / Télémaintenance
http://www.portparallele.com/ThomasDECONTES/