checking for gcc

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 10 21:51:18 PDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 18:49, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> basic users are expected to compile ports but not MacPorts itself,
> they are expected to install binaries of MacPorts itself :-)
> sorry, i forgot it :-)

Well, a user who types "sudo port selfupdate" causes MacPorts to
build itself from source...

>> Having MacPorts installation with a different prefix in PATH during
>> configure might fail anyway if certain ports are installed (e.g.
>> tcl).
>> Therefore, use a clean environment with the system's default PATH
>> if you
>> don't want to use MacPorts for that.
>
> well, i need to compile MacPorts because i don't want to give it
> root rights

Same here.

> it's not very constraining,
> just, sometimes i have tinny problems, and in general there is a
> solution :-)
>

> but it may be very annoying, if the installation of some ports
> avoids to rebuild MacPorts :-(
>
> is there a simple way to use the system's default PATH, just for
> the time to build MacPorts ?

Just do it! Run

export PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"

before you run the configure, make and make install commands. That's
what I do. Then close the Terminal window to get your previous PATH
back.