OSX Upgrades: Snow Leopard

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Thu Jun 18 10:32:56 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2009, at 17:05, Darren Weber wrote:
>
>  MacPorts doesn't include a command to help you rebuild an entire
>>> installation like this. This is unfortunate and makes it a rather involved
>>> process. But since upgrading to a new major OS version is a task users don't
>>> perform often, I don't think any work has gone into making this easier.
>>>

>>> I think the key to solving this would be to have MacPorts record more
>>> information in the registry about each port that was installed, including
>>> what version of Mac OS X it was done on, with what version of Xcode, and
>>> even record several of the settings from macports.conf that were in effect
>>> at the time. Then we can make "port outdated" recognize that if the current
>>> OS is a major version later than the one a port was installed with, the port
>>> needs to be rebuilt.
>>>

>> Interesting suggestion.  Does the receipt include the variants installed?
>>

> Yes; you can bunzip2 a port's receipt and look at it in a text editor if
> you want to see what's in it. But all it seems to contain now is the
> variants that were selected, the files that got installed, and some info
> copied out of the portfile, including its name, version, revision,
> description, etc.
>
>  Is this process likely to be available in 1.8?
>>

> I wouldn't count on it, since it's just an idea at this point, and there
> has been no code written yet. And we do want to get 1.8 out the door quickly
> now, since Snow Leopard is in developer hands, and it requires 1.8.
>
> Just getting the info (Mac OS X version, Xcode version, build machine arch,
> universal archs, etc?) stored in the receipt shouldn't be hard and could
> perhaps occur for 1.8 already. And then later we can rewrite "port outdated"
> so it makes use of this information.

I have attended WWDC2009, where I got access to a developer version of Snow
Leopard (and SL server) and the latest Xcode tools bundled with the SDK for
iPhone 3.0.

If I can learn how to create a dual-boot system (so I can hang onto
everything on my Leopard Server), then I may be able to test some things
(any tips on the best way to do this?).  I can't give it a high priority in
my position, but I expect it will have to be done sooner or later for me to
make a move to development on Snow Leopard in Sept.

Take care,
Darren