port install gnat-gcc

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Thu Jun 18 22:04:50 PDT 2009

Hi Daniel,

On 19/06/2009, at 8:29 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> If the reason why it needs to be the same path everywhere is because
> of the install name for the shared libraries that come with the
> bootstrap compiler, then the DYLD_* variables can be used to make it
> a non-issue.

Ah, I'd forgotten that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is checked before the install
path name, but unfortunately that's not the only reason why the prefix
matters, and I'm not confident that the other reason that I have found
is the only one.  (The other place in which I've found it is libexec/
gcc/i386-apple-darwin9.6.0/4.3.3/install-tools/mkheaders, which is a
shell script, and it looks like patching it or setting an environment
variable should take care of the prefix there.)

If someone can confirm that those are the only ways in which the
prefix matters in GCC, then I'd be confident that using
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and patching/setting a variable for mkheaders would
be fine, and thus that we could put the bootstrap in ${destroot}.
Until then, though, I'm inclined to stick with putting it in /var/tmp.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang