apache2 location

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 1 05:09:47 PST 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 07:07, Chris Janton wrote:

>>> Very cool, I had no idea that was being done, that creates a
>>> super awesome case where people can get a strong dev box up and
>>> running, and still use the system prefs to manage their apache,
>>> very cool.
>>
>> The variant was never updated for Leopard. It only works with
>> Apple's Apache 1, thus it only works on Mac OS X 10.4 and earlier.
>> There really haven't been that many complaints about this,
>> certainly not recently. So perhaps we could reconsider whether we
>> need to offer support for Apple's Apache at all anymore, since by
>> necessity all Leopard users who are using php5 with Apache are
>> already using the MacPorts apache2 port to do so.
>
> Having long experience with MacPorts on a pre Leopard server, uh,
> pre Tiger really...
>
> Apache 1 support (apple_apache) needs to remain for all of us
> legacy folks, please. It really is the only "reasonable" way to
> keep a reasonably updated PHP (and MySQL) on the older systems.
>
> Just "freeze" apache for posterity, or somehow only allow it on
> darwin_7 or darwin_8 ?

It's not a problem to keep it around and make it fail more gracefully
on Leopard and above. However, I must ask why you feel it's "the only
'reasonable' way" to have PHP on the older systems. Why is using
apache2 on those systems unreasonable? It's how I've configured my
systems and it works great.

>>> This also solves OS X Server where it was weak in php support, as
>>> in most cases, OS X Server only really fails on that front.
>>
>> Mac OS X Server's apache is probably different from Mac OS X's
>> apache in several ways and the variant of php5 was designed for
>> Mac OS X's apache, not Mac OS X Server's.
>
> the php5 variant for apache on Mac OS X Server works just fine.
> There is small bit of configuration file fiddling around, but it's
> not hard. I haven't tried bringing up apache2 on the Panther server.

Ok, that's good to know.

I have apache2 running on my Panther Mac. No problems that I've seen,
though it's not used very much.