apache2 location

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sun Mar 1 05:52:44 PST 2009

On 2009-03-01 , at 06:09 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> It's not a problem to keep it around and make it fail more
> gracefully on Leopard and above. However, I must ask why you feel
> it's "the only 'reasonable' way" to have PHP on the older systems.
> Why is using apache2 on those systems unreasonable? It's how I've
> configured my systems and it works great.

I should have been more clear. It's a reasonable way to have a
properly functioning, up to date, PHP5 with Apache 1 on a Mac OS X
Server, vintage Panther.

There were other options in the past - Marc Liyanage's bundled up
version worked particularly well. When that package was discontinued
the only option was to "build your own". Build your own with MacPorts
is far more useful than doing things "by hand".

Switching the Panther server to use apache2 is a possibility, but just
adds a "new" port to the mix of things that may (or may not) work
going forward.

At some point we will have the web sites served by the Panther system
migrated away to a VMware cluster. Then I can upgrade the Panther box
to Leopard and stop worrying about the ancient software.

8)