Why ar doesn't call ranlib on Mac?

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 09:41:08 PST 2009

I'm on Intel Leopard 10.5.6 and my xcode is 312_2621, gcc build 5490.
The ar I have us from July 9 2008, size 64448 bytes.  I've upgraded
from gcc build 5488 yesterday to see if the most recent xcode off ADC
has a different ar, but it didn't look like it.  Peter -- is the new
ar supposed to be in xcode.dmg, or you get it via other means?

Cheers,
Alexy