Why ar doesn't call ranlib on Mac?

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Wed Mar 4 15:39:00 PST 2009

Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> I'm on Intel Leopard 10.5.6 and my xcode is 312_2621, gcc build 5490.
> The ar I have us from July 9 2008, size 64448 bytes.  I've upgraded from
> gcc build 5488 yesterday to see if the most recent xcode off ADC has a
> different ar, but it didn't look like it.  Peter -- is the new ar
> supposed to be in xcode.dmg, or you get it via other means?

Then ar is calling ranlib for you unless you are passing it the -S flag.

If you are building for multiple arches then you should pass ar the -s
flag (as Rainer said) to ar to ensure that the table of contents is
created. As you can see from the ar sources it calls ranlib -q normally,
and ranlib -f if it saw the -s flag. Ranlib -q will "Do nothing if a
universal file would be created." whereas ranlib -f will create the fat
archive.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman