port outdated command works propely after Porticus being installed.

Kuniaki Mukai mukai at sfc.keio.ac.jp
Tue Mar 10 22:32:38 PDT 2009

Here is a command line log of MacPorts.

% port outdated
The following installed ports are outdated:
mpfr                           2.4.1-p2_0 < 2.4.1-p4_0
% sudo port selfupdate
Password:

MacPorts base version 1.700 installed
Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.700

The MacPorts installation is not outdated so it was not updated
% sudo port sync

(Launch Porticus and do the menu item  selfupdate, which
shows only bash and graphviz are outdated. )

% port outdated
The following installed ports are outdated:
bash                           4.0.0_0 < 4.0.10_0
graphviz                       2.22.0_0 < 2.22.1_0
mpfr                           2.4.1-p2_0 < 2.4.1-p4_0
%

It seems that this log still suggests that 'port outdated' command
works correct only after Porticus selfupdate menu being done,
as I suspect.

K. Mukai

On Mar 11, 2009, at 1:37 AM, Joshua Root wrote:

> Kuniaki Mukai wrote:
>> I installed so far more than 400 ports. Thanks for Macports.
>> For these months, may be  more than a half of a year,
>> the 'port  outdated' command  has given nothing
>> to me whenever I checked.  Although it was
>> strange, but I persuaded myself to think MacPorts
>> were now so stable that no update was neccessary.
>>
>> However, after I installed recently the Porticus application,
>> I found that every time  after doing the selfupdate menu
>> of the application, the same command
>> 'port  outdated' shows  many outdated ports information
>> to update.  It seems  as if macports does not work
>> properly without the Porticus.
>>
>> How can MacPorts's  'outdated' command be made to work
>> properly without helps of other applications ?
>> As a fact of matter, I am  afraid that some files of Macports
>> of my mac are broken.
>>
>> MacOSX 10.5.6
>
> Did you ever run `sudo port selfupdate` or `sudo port sync` before
> installing Porticus?

Yes, I did.  I will do it for sure whether it is reproducible even  now
or not.

K. Mukai