compiling libpangocairo

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 13 23:20:01 PDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 16:56, kalinski wrote:

> i switched from linux to macosx (äh shame on me)

Not at all -- Welcome to Macintosh!

> and i am used to compile stuff myself with the
> well known configure, make, make install
>
> so for the nice program jamin (an audio tool)
> i got a binary which doesnt work because it cannot
> somehow find the pango fonts, instead it shows blocks.
>
> then i compiled it myself from source
> and it gave:
>
> Incompatible library version: jamin requires version 2204.0.0 or
> later, but libpangocairo-1.0.0.dylib provides version 2201.0.0
>
> i went on and fetched cairo (latest source)
> which compiled and went into:
>
> /usr/local/lib
>
> which shouldn't interfere with macports right
> because the older version is in /opt/local/lib ?
>
> that's good because i don't wanna break my universal binaries nor
> macports

Software installed in /usr/local unfortunately can interfere with
software installed by MacPorts, so please do not install things in /
usr/local while using MacPorts. Please see:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15077

> then i fetched pango
>
> tried to compile it but it says (after a clean configure):
>
> /opt/local/include/cairo/cairo-xlib.h:97:3: error: #error Cairo was
> not compiled with support for the xlib backend
> viewer-cairo.c: In function 'cairo_x_view_create_surface':
> viewer-cairo.c:38: warning: implicit declaration of function
> 'cairo_xlib_surface_create'
> viewer-cairo.c:40: warning: return makes pointer from integer
> without a cast
>
> now: how can i tell automake on macosx to use my /usr/local/lib
> instead
> of /opt/local/lib?

Since we already have working ports for cairo and pango I would refer
you to those rather than expending effort troubleshooting your manual
installation. That is, after all, what MacPorts is for: to make it
unnecessary for you to have to figure out how to compile things
manually.

> or better how can i get libpangocairo.1.0.0.dylib 2204.0.0
> on macosx?
> i guess the macports version is 2203.0.0
> right?

With cairo @1.8.6_4 and pango @1.22.4_3 installed, I do see
libpangocairo-1.0.0.2203.1.dylib.

With cairo @1.8.6_4 and pango-devel @1.23.0_0 (to which I just
updated the pango-devel port) I see libpangocairo-1.0.0.dylib. So I
don't know what version that is.

Try pango-devel instead of pango. You'll have to wait an hour from
the time of this message and then "sudo port sync" first. Then "sudo
port deactivate pango" and "sudo port install pango-devel". Then see
if jamin compiles. If it still produces the same message, you'll have
to ask on the pango mailing list what version of pango provides
version 2204.0.0 of libpangocairo. Or ask the developers of jamin
what version of pango and cairo they require.