Boost installation

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 16 23:41:58 PDT 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 01:31, Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I don't know about your specific question, but in both sets of
>> output you quote above I see
>>
>> -L/usr/local/spidermonkey/lib/
>>
>> and
>>
>> -L/sw/lib/firefox2
>>
>> So presumably you have libraries in /usr/local and /sw, neither of
>> which is recommended or supported when using MacPorts. Please try
>> again after you have removed or moved aside /usr/local and /sw.
>

> 	I need those two libraries to create the Moziila plug-ins.
> 	What having those two libraries has to do with libboost_filesystem-
> xgcc40-mt.dylib or libboost_filesystem-mt.dylib not being able to
> find their respective libboost_system dependency is beyond me.  One
> would think that when a library depends on another library in order
> to not create undefined symbols when referenced, the library
> depending on the other library would be not only know the identity
> of the library it needs; but, also know where that particular
> library is located.  Such a dependency should have been resolved at
> library build time and not need to be addressed during the building
> of a program referencing the library; thus, the referencing of the
> required libraries to make the plug-ins is not relevant.
> 	In this particular case libboost_filesystem referenced
> get_system_category() and get_generic_category() which are defined
> in libboost_system.  Why was that dependency not addressed during
> libboost build time?

I can't comment on such specifics.

All I do know is that we cannot guarantee the correct functioning of
MacPorts and MacPorts-installed software when you also have things
installed in /usr/local and/or /sw. Therefore we recommend you do not
have anything installed in /usr/local or /sw when using MacPorts and
MacPorts-installed software.

Instead, install that software using MacPorts. For example, we have a
spidermonkey port which I have used and it seems to work. We also
have a firefox-x11 port; I have not tried that one myself.