Boost installation

Frank J. R. Hanstick trog24 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 17 02:32:02 PDT 2009

Forgot to cc to MacPorts Users.

On Mar 16, 2009, at 11:41 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2009, at 01:31, Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:
>
>> On Mar 16, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know about your specific question, but in both sets of
>>> output you quote above I see
>>>
>>> -L/usr/local/spidermonkey/lib/
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> -L/sw/lib/firefox2
>>>
>>> So presumably you have libraries in /usr/local and /sw, neither
>>> of which is recommended or supported when using MacPorts. Please
>>> try again after you have removed or moved aside /usr/local and /sw.
>>

>> 	I need those two libraries to create the Moziila plug-ins.
>> 	What having those two libraries has to do with
>> libboost_filesystem-xgcc40-mt.dylib or libboost_filesystem-
>> mt.dylib not being able to find their respective libboost_system
>> dependency is beyond me.  One would think that when a library
>> depends on another library in order to not create undefined
>> symbols when referenced, the library depending on the other
>> library would be not only know the identity of the library it
>> needs; but, also know where that particular library is located.
>> Such a dependency should have been resolved at library build time
>> and not need to be addressed during the building of a program
>> referencing the library; thus, the referencing of the required
>> libraries to make the plug-ins is not relevant.
>> 	In this particular case libboost_filesystem referenced
>> get_system_category() and get_generic_category() which are defined
>> in libboost_system.  Why was that dependency not addressed during
>> libboost build time?
>
> I can't comment on such specifics.
>
> All I do know is that we cannot guarantee the correct functioning
> of MacPorts and MacPorts-installed software when you also have
> things installed in /usr/local and/or /sw. Therefore we recommend
> you do not have anything installed in /usr/local or /sw when using
> MacPorts and MacPorts-installed software.
>
> Instead, install that software using MacPorts. For example, we have
> a spidermonkey port which I have used and it seems to work. We also
> have a firefox-x11 port; I have not tried that one myself.

	The retry without references to /usr/local/lib resulted in the
following:

g++ -D_THREAD_SAFE -g -O2 -o .libs/browser browser.o -Wl,-
bind_at_load  -L/opt/local/lib ./.libs/libtest-openvrml.a /Users/
frank/FirefoxDownloads/openvrml-0.17.12/src/libopenvrml/.libs/
libopenvrml.dylib -L/opt/local/lib/firefox-2.0.0.20 /opt/local/lib/
libjpeg.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpng12.dylib /opt/local/lib/
libfontconfig.dylib /opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib /opt/local/lib/
libexpat.dylib /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib -lz -lmozjs -lplds4 -
lplc4 -lnspr4 -lboost_thread-mt -lboost_unit_test_framework-mt -
lboost_filesystem-mt
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
boost::system::get_system_category()
boost::system::get_generic_category()
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [browser] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/Users/frank/FirefoxDownloads/
openvrml-0.17.12/tests'
make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/frank/FirefoxDownloads/
openvrml-0.17.12/tests'

I told you  the references to the other libraries was not relevant to
the problem.  This is a problem internal to the Boost library build
where libboost_filesystem references get_system() and get_generic()
which are defined within libboost_system, both of which are Boost
library modules..  A dependency that should be taken care of in the
build process of the Boost libraries

Frank J. R. Hanstick
trog24 at comcast.net