port install efficiency issue

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 21 22:32:39 PDT 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Darren Weber wrote:

> What is up with port?  It just ran for about 15 mins to build a
> package that is already installed.  If I were to work on the same
> damn thing, repeating it all day, day after day, I would get the
> sack pretty quickly.  Just think of the useless load on the network
> and the servers for all those futile downloads, etc.  So tell me,
> why shouldn't I switch to fink?  At least Debian has a decent
> package management system, geez!
>
> $ sudo port install gettext
> --->  Fetching gettext
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for gettext
> --->  Extracting gettext
> --->  Applying patches to gettext
> --->  Configuring gettext
> --->  Building gettext
> --->  Staging gettext into destroot
> --->  Installing gettext @0.17_4
> Error: Target org.macports.install returned: Registry error: gettext
> @0.17_4 already registered as installed.  Please uninstall it first.

well for one thing it didn't download gettext, it fetched it from the
distribution directory on your machine where it's been since the
original install.  For another, if you had told port to upgrade
gettext  port would have said:
DEBUG: No need to upgrade! gettext 0.17_4 >= gettext 0.17_4

Maybe your boss should fire you, since your have a record of 1)jumping
to false conclusions and 2) ignoring established procedures (ie, trak
bug reports.   ;)

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.6 Darwin 9.5.0
XQuartz 2.3.3_rc2 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple37)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non