port install efficiency issue

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Mar 22 00:33:50 PDT 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 9:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2009, at 22:10, Darren Weber wrote:
>
>> What is up with port?  It just ran for about 15 mins to build a
>> package that is already installed.  If I were to work on the same
>> damn thing, repeating it all day, day after day, I would get the
>> sack pretty quickly.  Just think of the useless load on the network
>> and the servers for all those futile downloads, etc.  So tell me,
>> why shouldn't I switch to fink?  At least Debian has a decent
>> package management system, geez!
>>
>> $ sudo port install gettext
>> --->  Fetching gettext
>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for gettext
>> --->  Extracting gettext
>> --->  Applying patches to gettext
>> --->  Configuring gettext
>> --->  Building gettext
>> --->  Staging gettext into destroot
>> --->  Installing gettext @0.17_4
>> Error: Target org.macports.install returned: Registry error:
>> gettext @0.17_4 already registered as installed.  Please uninstall
>> it first.
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>

> We should keep our comments constructive. I'd like to minimize
> disparaging remarks about MacPorts coming from macports.org email
> addresses.

Question of general curiosity here.  I am asking this is all
seriousness.  How do you get a macports.org email address. My
assumption was that you were a developer pf ports if you had that
address.  In this case, the OP does not appear to be, or I would
assume were they, this would be a question they could answer and solve
on their own.   If it is a bug, they could report it.

In this case, it look as though the user is not a ports dev/contributor.

Just looking to understand the chain of command, for lack of a bette
word.  Thanks.

* I was under the impression Mac Ports was sort of to replace Fink, is
that not the case?  What are the pros and cons, differences?  Is Fink
still active?