port install efficiency issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 22 01:01:49 PDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 02:33, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2009, at 9:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> We should keep our comments constructive. I'd like to minimize
>> disparaging remarks about MacPorts coming from macports.org email
>> addresses.
>
> Question of general curiosity here.  I am asking this is all
> seriousness.  How do you get a macports.org email address. My
> assumption was that you were a developer pf ports if you had that
> address.  In this case, the OP does not appear to be, or I would
> assume were they, this would be a question they could answer and
> solve on their own.   If it is a bug, they could report it.
>
> In this case, it look as though the user is not a ports dev/
> contributor.
>
> Just looking to understand the chain of command, for lack of a
> bette word.  Thanks.

Darren is a member of the MacPorts project. He has commit access and
maintains two ports. All users with macports.org email addresses
requested and were granted membership via the procedure outlined in
the Guide:

http://guide.macports.org/#project.membership

> * I was under the impression Mac Ports was sort of to replace Fink,
> is that not the case?  What are the pros and cons, differences?  Is
> Fink still active?

Fink and MacPorts are both package management systems for Mac OS X. I
myself switched from Fink to what is now MacPorts years ago, because
I started having problems with Fink when Tiger was released. But I
think Fink is still alive. Their web site is:

http://www.finkproject.org/